OCD is an anxiety disorder. OCPD is a personality disorder.
OCD is typified by intrusive, unwanted obsessions that lead to repetitive, often ritualistic compulsions. The obsessions cause distress and the compulsions are performed to try and alleviate that distress.
Those with OCPD are generally preoccupied with orderliness, perfectionism and control in nearly every part of his or her life. These traits do not cause anxiety. In fact, people with OCPD have no interest in changing. They see their behavior as exhibiting desirable traits.
People with OCD are not happy with their disorder. People with OCPD are happy with the traits they have and enjoy an orderly, perfect, controlled environment.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders defines obsessive–compulsive personality disorder as:
A pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
- is preoccupied with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the major point of the activity is lost
- shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion (e.g., is unable to complete a project because his or her own overly strict standards are not met)
- is excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity)
- is overconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious identification)
- is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value
- is reluctant to delegate tasks or to work with others unless they submit to exactly his or her way of doing things
- adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others; money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes
- shows rigidity and stubbornness